From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:32:08 EDT

> It would not be the first time that I have been accused of not
> having a sense of humor, but this note offends the individual reader,
> as well as the BEE-L which maintains a very high level of
> respectability.
> Surely there is some form of editing which takes place?
> The List Server???  What do others think?

Actually, no - there is no editing/reviewing/censoring that takes place
on this list.  It's an open forum free for all.  Don't get me wrong, I'm
sorry you were offended, truely I am.  However there are others who got
a chuckle out of the post and I suspect there are even a few who passed
the post on at the water cooler or in the coffee shop.  It may be the
case that those who chuckled out number those who were offended or vice
versa.  It simply is not fair to deny one group or another the right to
read (or not) something deemed inappropriate by the opposing camp.  My
objection to the content of the post is that it came under the guise of
a fable, not as an off color joke.  I expected a fable, what I read was
a joke that obviously was offensive to some.

I doubt you saw the Drew Carey show last night, but the main character
was being sued for having posted an offensive (to some) cartoon on a
company memo.  In his closing statement to the court he rambled on about
fear of offending this group or that group and how in this day and age
no one will can anything for fear of being held accountable to others'
morales.  Drew's final colsing statement: "C'mon America, lighten up!".

Again, I'm sorry you were offended.  A hundred times, I'm sorry.  But
I'm thankful I live in a society where I can review everything and
decide for myself.

Respectfully submitted,
Aaron Morris