From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 22:04:07 -0700
Yoon asked:

>  "What is the optimum number of frames one can give to a split
> in spring?"

Hi Yoon,
I can only speak as a Calif beek.
Given that there is a buildup flow on, time appears to be the most important
factor.  Back calculate from the start of the main honeyflow.  The closer to
the flow, the larger the necessary split.

The sigmoid growth curve of colony pop has the greatest slope at about 10
frames of bees, so this would be the ideal size to keep splitting to.

For my operation, I like to split just as the first colonies begin producing
swarm cells.  Any split less than 5 strong frames (once the queen is mated
and laying) builds slowly.  A 5-framer will explode 3 weeks after the queen
begins laying.

I know a lot about 5-framers since I use 5-frame nuc boxes.  But this year I
used a new style of split deep, so I could produce some 6 and 7 frame nucs.
They really took off!

Randy Oliver