From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2019 17:04:52 +0000
If you are having problems seeing eggs, try Sharpshooter/Night Driving/Safety Glasses with Yellow lenses.  The yellow increases contrast.
Whereas we all realize as we hit a certain age that we start holding anything we read farther away and eventually need reading glasses, it is not as well known that from about 40 yrs on, contrast sensitivity also begins to decrease significantly.

A few years ago, I started having troubles seeing eggs, especially in dark combs.  Frustrated that I knew which cells should have eggs, but unable to easily see, I started trying different 'fixes'.  Even wearing a headlamp didn't help much.  One day, walking through the hardware store, I noticed safety glasses with yellow lenses.  That got me to thinking about Sharpshooter glasses and Night Vision glasses, so I bought a pair.   Eureka!   Not a complete fix, but far better than anything else that I had tried.

We were doing trials where we were estimating the areas of eggs, larvae, pupae in a large number of hives.

My much younger students and employees were curious, and they tried the yellow glasses.  Next day every crew member had a pair.
Jerry