Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:30:18 EST
Lance,
The problem was NOT the plastic, race of bees, or all the other differences.
The
reason for the MESS of cross comb, burr comb, oversize comb, etc., was you
tried to
get 9 frames drawn rather than 10, and you violated "bee space".

You always get foundation drawn by using 10 frames TIGHTLY PACKED TOGETHER,
leaving any leftover space near the side wall of the hive.  AFTER the 10
frames are
nicely drawn, then you can use them as 9 frames spaced in a body.

Forgetting plastic, we have known for 100 years that if you try to draw
foundation
with only 9 frames spaced apart from each other, you generally (not always)
get a
king-size mess of cross comb, burr comb, one side real deep and the other
side real
shallow, etc.

ALWAYS DRAW 10 FRAMES OF FOUNDATION TIGHTLY PACKED TOGETHER, NEVER 9
FRAMES SPACED APART!

George Imirie
CERTIFIED EAS MASTER BEEKEEPER
Starting my 70th year of beekeeping in Maryland
Author of George's PINK PAGES