From:
Robert Engelhardt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:46:19 -0700
> While on the subject, I once ran across a link that had a formula for
> a 'rough estimate' the number of bees in a colony by counting the
> number of foragers leaving the colony.

For a real rough estimation of your bees count the number of bees
returning to the hive for a minute (bees/minute). Then follow by using
this figure to estimate the number of deep frames covered in bees by
multiplying a thirty minute interval of bee watching by 0.0005 (
(Bees/Minute)*0.15 ). One filled deep frame is about .5 lbs bees, or
1750 individual bees .

So in summary:

( # Bees Entering Hive / # Minutes Observing ) * 0.875 = approximate bee
population

This information was found on pages 71 and 164 of The Beekeeper's
Handbook 3rd edition by Sammataro and Avitabile

This estimation disregards, outside temperature, available foraging,
time of day, impending weather, and a good deal of other variables, but
it should hopefully give you a real rough approximation.

-Robert