From:
Vanessa de Behr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:19:01 +0100
   I had it to do over few years back because the hives were crushed by a
fallen XVIIIth century brick wall. I got myself 3 Dadant (12 frames) deep
brood boxes because it is commonly used in my area, I am used to it, and I
have the opinion that a bigger brood box helps my dark-colored bees to bear
with my carelessness. I had worked WBC 10 frames all-shallow boxes before,
but had trouble to avoid congestion and swarming.
   Only wood but for a few exceptions: frames are wired (vertically), hive
floors are 90% wire mesh for varroa, ventilation and spying. One-foot-tall
hive stands. Inner covers made of linen cloth for ventilation. Wood
slanting roofs (metal covered) with mesh-covered orifices for ventilation.
Metal frame spacers. I expect the hives to last as long as me (I am 30) and
I think that plastic would get old and brittle before me. I also find
easier to repair wood than plastic. I have deep brood frames and shallow
supers out of habit. The tangential extractor can handle both, though since
varroa I avoid to extract treated frames.
     Vanessa
Belgium (Europe); 5°E and 50°N; rainy winters; rainy summers