From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:44:11 +1000
> Also Trevor just posted some
> excellent information on Anarchistic Bees on another
> thread. Could you somehow relate the two to me as to how
> you seem to say one thing; and yet what Trevor wrote
> relates more to old archives and just bees in general for
> what I consider some great traits we need back as an
> industry.

Being quoted, I thought I should seek some clarification as I am not sure
what I quoted is being used to prove.  The information is not old.  The
figures I quoted were from a conference last week.  The paper is a few years
old.  In that case, I have seen the drones above an excluder, laid by
worker/s, on two occasions.  The once in the paper quoted and a month back.
This is certainly a trait I do not wise to have or breed for, unlike Dee if
I am interpreting her correctly.  The main reason being is I do not want
unwanted brood above the excluder.  It stops the bees clearing when I put on
a clearer board (escape board) and is a pain to extract.

This rare sighting, by me, would confirm the figure given for Apis mellifera
of less than 0.01% having workers with activated ovaries.  As I said it is
not a trait I wish to see in my bees.

Not sure how the information I gave proves anything on the LC v's SC debate
unless it means that SC bees have this anarchistic behaviour.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA
Coming to Apimondia in Australia in 2007?