From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 21:45:15 -0400
"j.david clark" wrote:

> The wild blueberry industry in that State use honey bees for pollinating
> this horticulture crop . pollination provision is supplied by local and
> out of State providers . Following pollination services ,
> would some of the bees be taken to the potato growing areas to access
> the pastures as provided by rotation practices . Do we have any input to
> date from beekeepers involved in this instance as to poisoning and
> loss of colonies due to Imidacloprid .

The answer to both questions is no and no.

There are in excess of 60,000 hives brought into Maine for blueberry
pollination each year. Some go to raspberrys and some to cranberries
after blueberries but most leave for other states. None that I know of
go to the potato fields for any reason.

As far as Gaucho, which is easier to spell than I-etc., I wrote an
article for our State newsletter for everyone to report any bee problems
in the potato area to the State bee Inspector, Tony Jadczak, probably
the best in the country. If there is a problem, he will find it.

I do believe that gaucho is a problem. I also believe that beekeepers
lose hives to other causes and are quick to blame something other than
their own poor management. I count myself in that group. It is easy to
say resistant Varroa when I probably lost my last years hives to
tracheal. Got complacent. Made it through fine this year with no loss
and no change in my normal correct treatment, which included tracheal. I
have a feeling that some of the reports that are coming in are what I
experienced and not gaucho.

My guess is that the potato gaucho will not be a problem for bees but
there are many other applications that will affect our bees. If I were
in Canada, I would be watching bee deaths in canola and sunflowers. But
I doubt if we will see much from potatos, at least not on the scale or
what we might see on other nectar crops.

And we had best be careful on how loud we complain unless we have facts
on our side.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME