From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:56:22 -0500
> Barry asked if anyone is testing open-mated SMR stock for Varroa resistance
without also using chemicals.  Barry, I am reasonably certain that Kirk
Webster is doing just that. <

An update on this.
I have been contacted by several people who personally know, and talk with
on a regular basis, Kirk Webster, and they confirm that he is NOT using SMR
stock. He is working with Russian stock.

This still leaves me with my original question and with no one saying they
will test the stock without using chemicals. Either no one on the list is
using SMR stock or there really is no one willing to go "full monty" in
their testing. It seems a missed opportunity. So now instead of just paying
for chemicals to treat the bees, we add to that the cost of special queens
and labor. I fail to understand this idea.

Regards,
Barry