From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 06:43:59 -0600
Hello Mike & All,
Mike wrote:
 Do you know if they did two packets one after another or only one packet?

All the beekeepers I have talked to only used one packet and all but one
used the repackaged packets.  I have pointed out on Bee-L and at meetings
that Bob Stevens of BetterBee listed two treatments for better varroa
control in his catalog. All beekeepers reported excellent Tracheal mite
control with the *Apicure*. I believe the *Apicure * might have worked
better if two treatments had been used but in my opinion the infestations
levels of varroa were to high from fluvalinate resistant mites for ANY
treatment to work. None of the beekeepers I talked to did any testing
before, during or after treatments.
Several used BOTH Apistan and Apicure. Two tried Coumaphos after they saw
their treatments were not working but most the hives died any way.  Using
Apistan this year might work in your area but if you use apistan you need to
test with rolls or sticky boards (like you would with IPM controls) to make
sure your controls are working. I personally disagree with much of the
published data on the amount of infestation before treatment should be done
and still save the hive. The best research I have found is still some of the
oldest information. The research done by Dr. Marion Ellis of Nebraska has
proven the best information on testing I have come across. Hope I have
helped. My back hurts like Ulee Jackson in * Ulees Gold*. Only up on the net
for short periods now when I come in taking a break. Good luck with the bees
in the coming season!
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri