From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 07:42:24 -0500
waldig wrote:

> So we are back to standardizing methods for every regions.  I think
> scientific control studies are beneficial as they shed more light on what
> happens in hives, but one can not beat the advice from experienced,
> successful beekeepers in one's area.

Even standardized methods can have varying degrees of success because of
variables. The kind of bee, the location of the hives, the amount of
ventilation, the type of stores, etc. I do not wrap, yet over winter
successfully. Others wrap and over winter less successfully. But their
preparation for over wintering is different than mine, including the
race of the bees. So you would get incorrect results if you compared
them to me, while another who wraps and uses the same race of bee has
the same results as I do as far as honey production. I put more stock in
the bee than the wrap.

The best way, as you noted, is to take the advice of the successful
beekeeper. I would add read books, and try different things until you
find what works best for your area and method of keeping bees.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME