From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:30:51 -0500
>It was written and replied to by PB:
>>I do get AFB but at levels that are not destructive to the hive.
>
>What is that supposed to mean?
>
>Reply:
>Probably that there was not sufficient AFB material within
>the colony that it couldnot handle itself and therefore it
>was staying healthy and keeping everything under control.

In New York state and in many other states, in the presence of *any*
AFB infection, the law requires the destruction of the bees and hive.
The reason is: AFB is so contagious that it cannot be eliminated by
simply pulling a few frames.

At one time AFB infection rates were very high and the rate was
brought down by burning. Then beekeepers switched to medicating,
which some say merely covers up the symptoms. We now know that there
is AFB which no longer responds to terramycin.

But to see AFB in a hive and say, it's under control by the bees, is
utter nonsense. It ain't under control and it ain't going  away on
its own. I have kept bees for almost 30 years and I have *never* seen
a hive get rid of AFB on its own.

Granted, some hives may be resistant in that they do not show
symptoms after being exposed to AFB spores, but that is a different
thing entirely. In the desert where apiaries may be widely separated,
*you* experiment with AFB. Around here, it's illegal.

--
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>