From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 09:07:37 -0600
>>> Colonies not fed pollen in CA display the symptoms of CCD.

> Not true, Waldemar.  They are just weak and don't build up early enough
> for almonds.  No Calif beekeeper is confusing this with CCD.

Lack of feed in the hive for any period of time, and the subsequent partial
starvation will often lead to unexplained losses some time later, often
months, and especially in late fall, if the deprivation happened in late
summer -- even if the bees are fall fed.  I've seen it.

I've wondered how much of *apparent* CCD is the result of extracting too
close or drought, or both, and partial starvation, since the effects are
often delayed until late fall/early winter, but I hate to speculate while
the CCD team is out in the trenches. There are some symptoms reported in
bona fide CCD cases that would not occur with the scenario above.

There has been too much second-guessing and speculation IMO.