From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2007 23:09:03 -0400
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Am I missing something here?  The SC colonies always had more mite drop,
to me indicating that there were more mites!--

Hello Randy!

Reviewing the 6 known mechanisms for varroa resistance; Length of phoretic
period, Low mite fertility, Brood attractiveness, Length of post-capping,
Grooming behavior and Hygienic behavior.   Small cell would probably
contribute directly to two of the six mechanisms by reducing brood
attractiveness, and (with mites having to search longer for a suitable
cell)  would possibly cause the phoretic period to lengthen. This
lengthening of the phoretic period, (arguably the highest risk period for
varroa) will perhaps cause a symptom of higher mite drop because of the
increase chance for a mite being groomed, falling or meeting some other
demise.  Perhaps in this case, ‘more mite drop‘ does not necessarily
indicate more mites.

From my experience working with feral bees, I am seeing that mite pressure
in a colony is as much a reflection of the resistance at the colony level
as it is telling of the mite resistance of the local population of
honeybees.  Relying on mite counts alone  IMHO is a failure to properly
assess a colony, which is of course (as we all know) should be based
on ’over all performance’.  Mite counts are a ’symptom’ of other causes,
IMO, mite drops are so ambiguous in their interpretation, I personally
don’t understand how they can have any practicality as a selective tool,
especially when over all performance will tell all that is needed.  In a
local population of honeybees that are carrying high mite loads, culling
colonies based on mite drop could perhaps be a selection against two of
the known mechanisms for mite resistance; grooming behavior and brood
attractiveness.  And possibly, (on a natural comb system) a selection
against feral bees which are sometimes of smaller cell sizes.

Relating this to the study, perhaps mite pressure in the research colonies
(also being a reflection of the mite pressure found in the local
population of bees) was probably near a comparative level, and the small
cell group may be having the symptom of higher mite drop due to a
lengthening of the phoretic period.

Best Wishes,

Joe Waggle Derry, PA
“Bees Gone Wild Apiaries”   FeralBeeProject.com
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles