From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:09:08 -0500
In late 2004 and early 2005 there was much discussion of massive losses
countrywide. One or two calm voices on this list said, more or less, 'Every
year there are large losses. The difference this year is that some of the
loud mouths had the losses.'
 Yep, here in the northeast I personally know of commercial beekeepers who
lost 1/3 of their hives during August/October. I have heard second-hand of
similar losses experienced by others. We had the 2nd wettest July on record,
and then went about 6 weeks without rain. The hives were in sorry condition
before goldenrod. Some decided to collect the goldenrod and put on strips in
October, rather than August. Those are among those who lost 1/3rd.
 I have seen very few commercial beekeepers go to formic, although it is now
legal and this climate is just about ideal. The reasons seem to be: (1)
migratory covers will not do the job, (2) the pads are expensive compared to
the homemade (illegal) uses of fluvalinate and coumaphous, (3) a reluctance
to add another piece of equipment in the form of spacers between the cover
and the top hive body. Maybe next spring more will be willing to use formic.
 On the other hand, those few commercial beekeepers who use formic and
oxalic (not legal) seem to be doing just fine...at this early date.
 Perhaps those who lost 1/3rd from August-October just took their winter
losses early? That is my guess, but we'll never know for sure.

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.