From:
Barry Digman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:29:35 -0700
"It should not be a dogmatic religion either. It is quest for a more
intelligent and a lucider way to develop. I think we are intelligent enough
to allow us to question the way we are donig things, aren't we ?
Hervé"

The problem here in the US is that once the momentum of something like
"sustainability" gets moving, it's never enough for the advocates to simply
promote the advantages in the private sector and in the free market and try
to convince the public to change their ways. At the first chance, folks will
impose their will upon others using a combination of our political system
and our tendency to not pay attention to our legislative process until it's
too late. I think one could make a case that we once has an opportunity for
"sustainable" energy in the form of nuclear power, but for a multitude of
reasons (including a huge dose of scare tactics and misinformation) we
effectively slammed the door on that industry and put ourselves into a
rather ridiculous situation. Now the big bad oil corporations are profiting
hansomely from our refusal to deal with the issue rationally. And they're
doing it with "unstainable" hydrocarbons. "Sustainable"  is a noble pursuit,
but let's not be so naive as to believe it's a free lunch.