From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:47:29 -0500
Allen asked:
How about sharing a few, Bob?

Below is one I believe needed further comment.

When small hive beetle was first found in Florida I went to Florida to the
source to learn all I could.

One important finding was learned from an observation hive with small hive
beetle also in the OB hive.

I looked and could not see a single beetle through the glass but when the
hive was moved the SHb appeared and started laying eggs like crazy.

My conclusion and the conclusion of others looking at the phenomenon is that
the small hive beetle is in the hive to lay eggs  (which is the same for the
wax moth) and when the hive is opened or  disturbed the SHb will come out
even in the presence of bees and lay eggs ( the adult beetle leaves the hive
after the laying of eggs).

Most insects carefully choose a place with food for their larva to feed upon
after hatching so why should SHb be any different?

Laurence Cutts and David Westervelt noted about when the SHb is disturbed
in the report with the following statement

" once adult beetles are disturbed they are stimulated to mate and lay eggs"
on page 15 of the report I believe.

It is my opinion that the removing of honey supers in Florida (especially
with the abandon method ) stimulates the SHB to lay eggs. Although the SHb
would prefer (in my opinion) to lay eggs in the dark brood comb when
disturbed they lay in supers and also find the supers unguarded by the bees
when using the abandon method very attractive.

The SHB period from egg to pupation can be as short as 7 days. The egg stage
lasts 2-3 days.

The report is full of honey house SHB horror stories.

Bob's solution to the above problem is different than every persons which
commented in the report but as yet untested.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison