From:
Janet Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:05:25 -0500
We must remember that just because something is " natural" it does not mean
it is necessarily safe.
Some examples might be nicotine, formic acid, and many of the most toxic
substances known to man are natural- botulisium, micro-toxins found on many
substances from grain to peanuts, and a host of natural alkaloid substances,
airborne asbestos fibers which are really stone,  air borne walnut sawdust,
silica dust and the list could go on for quite a while.

I prefer to judge my risk to a substance by noting the substances innate
toxicity, the dose I might receive, the frequency of exposure and the
concentration.
 I believe that the hazard is in the dose and likelihood of exposure and
route of absorption.
If I am handling a substance that is only absorbed by the oral route, I
would be very cautious to protect myself from lung and oral exposure.
 If skin absorbed, I would be especially careful to use long sleeved
clothing and wear appropriate gloves etc.
Natural products many times do not carry label warnings while pesticides and
drugs will have very strict warnings, use instructions and use instructions

So much for my humble views and I do not wish to start a war on this subject
but offer these thoughts for your consideration

Dan Veilleux
Vilas, NC

BEE-L subscribers are reminded to read and follow the
guidelines for posting, which are available online at:
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm