From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:56:28 -0500
Hello Jerry!

I wanted to know if you could please answer a few questions I had about
CCD.

In private discussion's there as been talk of a possible OA connection
common amoung opperations having CCD, maybe you could expand on.  And I
also have a few observations, weather associated or not, I do not know.
Maybe you could help clear up theses questions.

In the 'CCD preliminary report'
-----o
In section 2. Chemical use:
"b. Miticide use: all but one beekeeper had applied a miticide treatment
over the course of 2006. The products used, method of application, varied."
-----o

What treatments were applied?  And was Oxalic acid, or other acid type
treatments used in these colonies?,,, particularly during the spring or
during mid summer lul?

If the question of OA was asked of these beekeepers having losses, I would
suspect that pesticide regulations could potentially hinder cooperation OR
honesty somewhat from those being interviewed.  Was this subject of OA and
other 'non approved and misuse of treatments' addressed in such a way that
satisfies the researchers that creditable, honest and accurate accounts
of 'all treatments used, and method of application' was obtained from
those interviewed?

I was also wondering if there was observation of virus type symptoms
apparent in these colonies (even at low level), early in the season?

And also, did any beekeepers notice a higher than normal occurrence
of ‘acute colony initiation failure’ in swarms and package bees between
the period of colony initiation and 3 weeks into the growth stage?
Thanks!

Best Wishes,
Joe