From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 16:34:47 -0500
Hello All,
I have been looking through a few of the *bibles* of beekeeping and what
they say about wintering. I also went back several editions back to the
early 1900's. I find that much of the information is copied from edition to
edition. Two corrections on wintering need to be made.
1. bees cluster at 57 degrees. Phillips & Demuth (1914) first reported at 57
degrees F.(14C.) the cluster becomes well defined.

 I have opened many bee hives at 45 and 50 degrees F. and i cannot detect a
cluster. At temperatures of 40 degrees or less a well defined cluster as
described in the bee books is easy to see. If Phillips & Demuth had said
bees start ot cluster then i might halfway agree but most clusters are well
defined at 17 degree lower temperature.

2. Main reason for insulating  hives.

Packing a hive with insulation has the advantage of letting the interior of
a hive cool down slowly with a SUDDEN DROP in outside temperature so that
all the bees in the hive could get to the cluster before they got so cold
they couldn't move.  Sudden drops in temps of 30-40 degrees in a short time
are not uncommon in winter in our northern states. This reason should at
least be talked about.
Best wishes,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri