From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:09:24 -0400
Glenn West asked:

> Would it be possible to hide a piece of paper in a beehive
> for over 30 years w/o it being destroyed?

Sure.

In general, one must protect the paper from moisture,
since bees like things just a tad more humid that archival
standards would dictate.

1)  Too Easy - Hide the paper between the metal top and
     the luan of the outer cover, sealed in a zip-lock or other
     air-tight wrapping.

2)  Better - Roll up the paper in waxed paper, twist the ends,
    drill a hole horizontally in a frame top-bar or vertically through
    the body of a super, and insert paper.  Seal the hole with a
    wooden plug, then with plastic wood caulk, whatever.

3)   Just For Fun - Lay the paper against the inner wall of a
      super prior to putting it on a hive and decoupage it with
      several layers of the shellac used for the purpose.
      Wallpaper for bees!

4)   Extra, Extra Sneaky - Take two sheets of foundation,
      and create a sandwich with the (air and water-tight)
      package containing the paper in the middle.  Then
      insert the foundation into a frame, and allow the bees
      to drawn out the comb.

5)   Easy Retrieval - Seal paper in a metal tube, and attach
      a wire.  Place on bottom board, run wire out entrance,
      and bury the wire in a shallow trench running away from
      hives.  Non-beekeepers can then collect items from the
      beehive "dead drop" by finding the "end" marker, and pulling
      briskly on the wire.

I could go on, but you get the idea.  Despite the
Patrick McGoohan-esque charm of hiding something
very valuable or important in a beehive, I would not try it.

        jim