From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:41:11 -0500
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:12:12 -0500, Bill Truesdell <bhfarms@SUSCOM-
MAINE.NET> wrote:

>There are a lot of strawmen being erected in this discussion. I have
>seen very few "irresponsible" beekeepers in my time as a beekeeper. I
>have met some who were well meaning but ignorant.

I guess this all depends on what we define as irresponsible.  Where I'm at
in North Carolina there's a bee supply place bringing in queens and
packages from Florida this year.  That will put hundreds of Florida bred
queens in the county.  I consider that irresponsible.  One of the more
informed beekeepers in our county club swears by the Texas queens he's been
purchasing.  He says they're a little hot, but manageable, and he thinks
they're vigorous.  He plans to buy more this year.  I consider that
irresponsible.  We have beekeepers nearby taking hives out to almonds (and
back).  I find that borderline irresponsible.  I bet there are close to a
hundred beekeepers in the county that have never caught on to the concept
that frames of brood are removeable, which means they've never inspected
for foulbrood, for instance.  I'm inclined to say that's irresponsible.  I
know of a few beekeepers that feed out in the open when other nearby
beekeepers still have honey supers on their hives.  I consider that very
irresponsible.  I haven't even touched on the huge subject illegal
chemicals and legal chemical misuse.  I think it's anything but a strawman
to suggest that there are enough irresponsible beekeepers out there
to "leaven the whole lump."  I can imagine that things might be somewhat
better in Maine, but can you really talk of a strawman?

Eric