From:
Tom Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:03:59 GMT
Hello All

I have been reading the posts regarding not using chemicals against varroa.
I would like to put a question regarding the problem with reinfestation.

Here in Ireland we have had varroa since 1998. As you would expect it is
still somewhat patchy, and the current belief is that we must use chemicals,
since hives being treated by IPM would be overwhelmed by reinfestation from
feral colonies which still survive, and from colonies held by non compliant
beekeepers.

Thus the perceived wisdom here is that we cannot risk using IPM until varroa
'stability' is achieved by varroa becoming reasonably evenly distributed.

Does experience gained in the USA and elsewhere confirm or deny what I have
said?

Sincerely
Tom Barrett
Dublin