From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:29:08 -0600
> In regard to the Apistan treatment methodology that you mention, is
> that one strip of Apistan per 5 frames of bees(as per instructions),
> or one strip per hive (2 brood boxes with variable bee populations)?
> Where do you position strip

We use one strip in the centre of the cluster, which is visible at the
top
of the top box.  We do not cut down strips for small clusters, or use
more for large clusters.

"Frames of bees' is an almost meaningless 'measurement'.  The number of
frames apparently occupied by a given number of bees is highly variable,
depending on season, ambient temperatures, presence and amount of brood,
time of day, queen condition, spacing of brood frames, amount of feed
left, breed of bee, disturbance, disease, mite irritation, sunshine,
flow or no flow, etc. etc.

From what we have heard, the maximum number used, in the largest of
hives is four in the Fall, so, knowing that we have much reduced
populations, we assume that one strip is appropriate for the largest,
and there are no recommendations to use less than one strip.

> and for how long (ie. is the treatment
> period the same as for a regular Apistan application)?

This *is* a regular Apistan application.  Why would we depart from the
label?  We try for the 42 days, as closely as practical.

> Have you abandoned Formic, or do you intend to use Formic treatments
> in the fall, in an effort to reduce tolerance levels to Apistan?

We have never used formic for varroa.  By all accounts, it is highly
variable in its efficacy.  We have used it on tracheal and hoped for
'collateral damage' against the varroa populations, however.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com
Today: My Swinger trailer pictures