From:
"j.burgess4" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
j.burgess4
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:41:30 -0000
Allen,
I take your point of the difficulties experienced in some parts of the
world in combating varroa, and especially your view of the failure of
governments etc to develop a second line of defence. When Apistan
arrived in the UK the price of Bayvarol immediately dropped
substantially.
There is currently no UK approved alternative to pyrethroids
(Bayvarol/Apistan), so *when* resistance arrives we may well be rushed
into an unhappy emergency solution such as Coumaphos.
In all fairness I should mention the promising work to find a natural
fungal defence against varroa being carried out at Rothamstead. Very
promising, but a race against the arrival of resistance.
My original point remains. The uncontrolled use of DIY chemicals is
liable to lead to early arrival of resistance or contamination of
honey. both must be discouraged.
Regards, John Burgess, Editor Gwenynwyr Cymru/The Welsh Beekeeper