From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 20:32:51 -0500
> While most of my bee
>yards are located away from populated areas, I do have some near peoples'
>residences. I've yet to have any complaints.

Hi Michael and All:

I also have 1000 hives and could not agree more with your experiences and
your posting on feeding, Michael (and your comments Allen).  However, this
spring I did have some complaints from neighbours close to my winter yards
in the early spring before there was anything flowering and when the bees
were looking for pollen.  Prince Edward Island is very densely populated for
a rural area, and for the winter I bring the bees close to home and have 150
or so hives in a yard.  When we get a nice warm day in early April before
the first alder flowers open (we have few pussy willows so that is our first
pollen source) the bees are really flying around the neighbours quite
densely.  I put pollen extender patties on the hives, I put out dry
substitute sometimes, and I mollify a few people with gifts of honey, but I
must admit that it is a bit of a problem.  A few people watered the bees (I
suggested dripping hose on a mossy board) and that seemed to help with the
dog water dish problem, so maybe they were searching for water sometimes,
but I think a lot of it was just spring flights and there is something about
houses that is attractive.

I had not a single complaint from anyone around my fifty summer yards, but I
did have a few grumbles in the early spring.  Oddly enough, only my mother
in law mentioned the beeshit problem.  She has 150 hives right next to her
house and they love spotting her car and eavestrough.

Regards, Stan