Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 1994 09:14:00 EST
As I understand it, honey's actibacterial activity is due in large part to
the activty of peroxides in the honey.  We are all familiar with hydrogen
peroxide and its use as an antiseptic.

Gastric secretions are stimulated by histamine acting on recteptors, called
H2 histamine receptors.  These acivate the secretion of gastric juices
containing, among other things, hydrochloric acid.  Blocking the activation
of H2 receptors is the mechanism by which many ulcer medications, such as
Tagament (cimetidine) work.  I don't believe honey could have any effect on
this mechanism, as the honey is broken down so quickly when consumed.

This is not to say it can not be of benefit.  If Helicobacter is the causative
agent of one's stomach ailment, the antibacterial properties may be of benefit.
Additionally, honey may coat and protect the stomach lining, and provide
many easily digested calories, resulting is less acid secretion, and thus faster
healing.

I hope this helps.

Ron Bell
E-mail [log in to unmask]