From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:34:20 -0500
Hello Bill & All,
Bill wrote:
> This is sort of an apology as well as a justification for my continuing
> questioning of different mite control techniques posted on the BeeL.

I see no need for a apology for questioning any method posted on Bee-L.  The
best discussions I have seen on Bee-L were the result of questioning of a
post.  I will always question a post I believe is incorrect or maybe needs
further discussion.
Even our most heated discussions fade away after a few days.  By then both
sides of the discussion have voiced their opinions and presented their
aurguments for or against the subject. THEN:
The subject can be brought back from the archives at a later date and
discussed again.  I see very little of this happening so that tells me very
few Bee-L people have actually read all the archives.  I went back ten years
and read from the start when I joined Bee-L.   The first years were very
simplistic compared to today.  Posts presented to Bee-L receive a higher
level of scrutiny than any bee list in the world.
A comment for new beekeepers I would add is when you ask a question on Bee-L
for which many posts already exist you  can expect a light response.
example: Which race of bee is best?
If you ask about the swarming behavior of say Carniolans then you will get a
better response and any new information.
One way to be sure  your Bee-L post gets a response is to add the fact you
have allready searched the archives and can not find information. Those
posts will get a response and shouldn't be left unanswered . example:
When reading a book and a question is raised the subject is addressed. The
veiws presented are only the viewpoint of the author but may be backed up by
articles from scientific journals etc.
Is not what we are doing on Bee-L similar?
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps. Lurkers ( name for Bee-L ers which only read and delete) please join in
once in awhile! I know there are lurkers better able to answer some of these
tough beekeeping questions than I am! In looking at last months posts many
went unanswered. Help out by answering to keep new beekeepers interested.