From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 07:52:22 -0500
Richard Bonney wrote:

> >   Effects of electric fields (industrial frequencies) on honey bees were studied in the
> > laboratory and under a high-voltage electric line (500 kv). Regulation of the brood
> > nest microclimate was disturbed in exposed colonies and viability of embryos, larvae
> > and adults was reduced. (Other adverse effects were noted.) Honey production was
> > reduced. The effects were eliminated by moving the bees to a site at least 50 meters
> > from the line, or by placing them under trees, or by covering hive tops with a layer of
> > dirt.

If the effect was negligible but measurable by close inspection, it would
explain why general observation show no effect. A loss of 10% will not be
noticible by general observation but would if scientifically measured.

Given that, there still may be a difference between the Russian and US
power lines - manufacture, configuration, spacing, etc..
Also, what might be causing the decrease is interesting, since the fix
seems to be to cool the hives when directly under the power lines. Dirt and
trees would seem to have little shielding effect on the electrical
characteristics but would tend to cool the hives. But that does not explain
the 50 meter move, unless it is also to a cooler place.

Have there been any other studies? I would think so. Which brings up
another question. Is there a source on the web for scientific abstracts and
papers dealing with bees? A lot of our questions and arguments would be
settled by having such a source. Or then, maybe not.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME