From:
William Morong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:00:58 -0500
At 10:12 PM 2/16/2000 EST, John wrote:

>   The following story about a recent Colorado study might demonstrate how
>global warming could possibly have a deleterious effect on beekeeping, bees
>being a "species that depends on seasonal cues for their survival."
>   The idea is that warm springs with deeper snowpacks cause animals to come
>out of hibernation too soon before vegetation appears, with starvation being
>the result.

Global warming or whatever, our balmy Fall and early Winter here in Maine
certainly kept bees here raising brood later than is safe.  Lots of honey
was eaten.  Losses here would be significant were it not for attention to
feeding.  The result here seems to be heading toward large unplanned
increase, but could easily be death.  Here, sugar cakes seem to sustain life
at colder times when contact with honey might be lost, though the modest
amount of sugar consumed seems to indicate that honey is being used at
warmer times.  Considerable pollen substitute is also being consumed,
probably because of excess pollen depleted last Fall.  The bees seem very
enthusiastic about pollen patties, buzzing loudly when they get them.  For
feral or poorly tended bees, it looks like heavy losses this year.  The
danger time is from now until the red maples bloom.

Bill Morong