From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 07:41:22 -0800
"the higher fees will go for pollination"

  I agree.

  "the higher the price will be for honey"

  Being a world wide market, I can only agree to a point. It seems that when short crops occur in the U.S. of A. more honey comes in from abroad. Not that the price goes up. It seems that only when the availability of forgein honey is restricted, by whatever means, then we see producer prices go up.

  Mostly I agree with Peter. Especially about bees being endangered. Perhaps the beekeeper in question should have talked about the Beekeeping Industry and not the bee. For it is the industry which is on some what unstable footing. If we stopped keeping bees I imagine that the bees would eventually work things out.

  Peter's point about invasive pests brings to my mind that it is we people who are also invasive pests. If we had stayed where we came from we wouldn't have the world that we have today. Invasive pests, or species, if you will, are in part what a living world is all about. "Invasive species" is a term that we use when a plant or animal is brought into a "non-native" environment and thrives. If it didn't thrive it wouldn't matter. As long as multifloral roses stay where we want them they are beautiful plants. As soon as they start growing somewhere else, they become weeds.

  Mark
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I expect the beekeeping industry will survive because the fewer hives there
are, the higher the fees will go for pollination, and the higher the price
will be for honey.

   *invasive pest*, which drives out native bees, such as
Meliponini.

pb

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and other info ---