From:
Mountaineer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2007 03:33:06 -0400
Hello,

I am in SC, and for the first time was beekeeping this summer.  I began with
bees and queen from Rossman apiaries. I followed instructions from a book ,
and all was going well with two hives, then at the beginning of June I
noticed one hive was acting differently, and then suddenly no activity at
all.  I looked inside at that point and it would appear the queen had died
for I saw very little brood.

I then looked in the other hive, and all appeared well.  Plenty of brood,
and a strong looking bunch of bees.

On Monday of this week, it appeared business as usual in the hive.  But then
yesterday I noticed no bees at all, and they are gone.

I see bumblebees and flies trying to get into the hives now, and thus I need
to dismantle and clean.

My question is on how to clean the frames and boxes.  Do I just toss out the
foundation and all and order new?  and I know there must be a recommended
solution to sterilizing cleaning the hive bodies themselves.

I know this list is for more astute beekeepers, but by helping a newbie, I
will become one of you in a few short years!

Adam Puzerewski

Mt Pleasant, SC Coburn WV

"Mountaineers are always free"