From:
Tim McGarry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:18:26 -0400
Spring of 2000 has so far been cool and wet across much of upstate NY and
northern New England. It appears as if it has been a year with an unusually
high number of swarms. I've had strong colonies with 3 medium supers of
drwan comb above the broodnest swarm. New colonies that had not fully drawn
out 10 frames in a super swarm. Even overwintered 4-frame nucs expanding on
new foundation took wing. Nearly all of the colonies that swarmed were
headed by queens less than one year old. I know for sure as I was finding
my green dots on the queens in these swarms. I've hived several of my own
as well some from another beekeeper. I don't think Im alone in high number
of swarms this year. My thoughts as to why relates to the delayed honey
flow combined with an early spring build up. Too many bees with little to
do except sit in the brood chamber and feel cramped. About half of htese
colonies also contributed up to 4 frames of brood in April to make nucs.
any furhter comments or laments to add to this post??