From:
peter dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 23:59:19 +0100
Max,
following this thread with much interest.
I am "surrounded" by beekeepers (99% of whom are hobbyists, or in other
words beekeepers who do not need to gain a living from apicultural
activities).
They are very much aware of the problem posed by V.j. - many are now
without hives due to its presence!
When I arrived here from England (at the time totally free from V.j.),
the first organisation I got into contact with was the local group named
Groupment Departemental Defense Sanitaire (County Group Defending Bee
Health)- and when I asked what was the recognised treatment against V.j.
was instantly presented with some"slim slivers of poplar wood that had
been soaking in a milky white liquid"
These were being sold I presume with the blessing of the local County
Vet. Office as the cheque that I HANDED OVER WAS SIGNED TO DDGA.
The whole idea of treatment was chaotic - no controlled timing period
for the area, no recognised disposal of used strips - often they were
left laying around in apiaries.
As time proceeded, there was discussion relating to changing the
molecule due to resistance showing up - but to my knowledge, this
resistance was never tested for in an organised manner, it was all hear
say.
I had hives that when tested with Amitraze after being treated with
Apistan dropping several hundreds of mites, others none at all -
confusion reigned, at least in my mind on what was really happening.
As far as I am concerned, treatment left in the hands of people who do
not either understand what they are doing or the consequences of their
actions is the best recipe for long term disaster.
There appears to be a pretense that the Vet. services are in control and
know what is happening - they are not and don't.
The average beekeeper in my area will not supply information and is
distrusting of his fellow beekeepers - just incase he/she finds out how
much money he/she is making/lossing.
We tried to set up a Development group for Beekeeping in the area -
failed due to apathy
The different beekeeping unions are at each others throats when ever
possible.
It is only when such disastrous situations as Gaucho and Sunflowers
arrive on the scene that sense prevails.
On the surface, everybody states that they are using the recognised
treatment for V.j., A.F.B.etc, but in reality!!!, leaving those that do
follow the rules to suffer.
One old beekeeper came to the house and asked what I THOUGHT ABOUT THAT
NEW STUFF - Apifoss. I presumed he was talking about COUMAPHOS ( even I
am not sure about its spelling). The vet. officer who was visiting put
him right by telling him not to use it but instead to use Amitraze
soaked onto jute strips.
He realised the bloke would never buy the official materials and
considered it better for all concerned that a treatment however it
arrived was better than none.
I gave up and fell into line - treat V.j. like the rest and get good
results whilst it lasts.
Before I WAS PAYING THE PREMIUM and not going to gain the extension in
time as most of the rest were happily making their 5%,10% dips out of
what ever was in fashion.

SO how are the trials relating to the pheromone that will waylay females
on their way to brood cells going?

Yours truthfully

Peter
PS I do have excellent contacts with many serious beekeepers throughout
France. I HOPE THAT THE ABOVE EXPLAINS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT
SHOULD HAPPEN AND WHAT REALLY HAPPENS.

Believing that the truth always come out one day!!