From:
Dann Purvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:39:09 -0500
Hey all,

I agree with the listing of the priority of beekeeping tools with some
slight changes.  This is for my full strength/production hives.

1. smoker
2. hive tool
3. white long sleeved shirt
4. veil
5. Sharpie permanent ink marker (to take notes on top of the hive cover)
6. pencil and pad (to write down things to do)
7. gloves.  I don't use them except during a dearth, robbing, treatments.  I
hardly ever get stung on the hand.  Also it is very hard to impossible work
queen nucs with gloves.

Also, I agree with the use of smoke.  Keep it nearby!  Even with my queen
nucs in which I rarely use smoke, I carry a small mist bottle of liquid
smoke in my tool belt.

To better elaborate on why I don't like to smoke my queen nucs; less
equipment to carry from nuc to nuc, easier to catch the queen because she
isn't as flighty, and the big one is I breed for gentleness.  If I have a
nuc that is aggressive it can mean that she is queenless/etc., or that the
breeder/drones I am using might be throwing mean bees.  By checking the
history of the nuc I can get a general idea of what breeder it was.  Just
another way to check for aggressiveness.

Take care,

Dann