From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:19:14 -0600
I have a wooden toolbox full of bees that was given to me a year ago in
spring after overwintering at its original site.  It became a nuisance and
the farmer asked me to take it away.  I took it home and ever since have
just enjoyed it.  I've never done anything but look at it.  It has never
been treated for anything in any way.

They have now lived at my door for two summers.  I know they have had some
varroa, because one day last year, I saw a varroa mite on a bee at the
entrance.  The mite was quite obvious, sitting on the back of the bee.

Since then, I've often looked closely at the bees coming, going and
patrolling the entrance, and never seen any more mites.  I'm wondering --
since I've heard that the mites can hide between the segments of the
abdomen and be almost invisible.

Is that true?  If there are phoretic mites, should I not be seeing them?

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/