From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 05:33:12 -0700
Hey Bill,

I would suggest setting on the plastic when you start getting temps in the 60's F during the day. Feed thin syrup (we add a smidgen of clorox to large vessels of thin syrup to keep it fresh) non stop. Of course you will need a decent cluster the size of a basketball or so to gitty-up-and-go. A bait comb or three doesn't hurt.

There are a few subtleties in mixing drawn and plastic. Alternating can lead to fattened drawn combs and skinny new combs.

Typically we have to trim a bit of bridge. No worries.

Pierco is my favorite. Black waxed. If you dip your own with a thicker coat the bees will pull them quicker. We don't have the time. Too many frying pans in the fire.

 Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........
Beekeeping Journal Blog   thoughts on beekeeping
Facebook