From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:45:18 +0100
Hi Joe

> I am correct in thinking that the queen mates with more than one drone ?

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/matingbehaviour.html
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/multiplematings.html
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/multiplematingevolution.html

There is also a page on Mating Frequency...
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/matingfrequency.html
But it is busted, and I need to look into why.

If you wish to know more about mating behaviour, you are ideally placed
in Ireland.

In a few weeks time, there is a week long summer school in Gormanston at
which there will be more than three hundred beekeepers from all over the
world, among them will be many experts on bee breeding and queen
rearing, as well as experts in instrumental insemination. You will also
get a couple of opportunities to see drone congregations at work.

The course is open to all and the fees are very modest. The following
links give dates, general details and specific programme as well as an
application form...
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/gormflier2006.html
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/gormprog2006.html
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/gormreservation2006.html

This invitation is not just for Joe, but is extended to all beekeepers
of any age, anywhere in the world. Any of you will find a warm welcome
among a large group of like-minded beekeepers. The course caters for all
levels from 'wanna be' beekeepers to those that have spent a lifetime
pursuing the craft. I am one who has only kept bees for a thirty year
period, but I have been seeking bee knowledge for the last fifty six
years and I come away from Gormanston every year having learned
something that I did not know before, I recommend it, it is an enjoyable
way to spend a few days and sample a few dozen pints of Guinness.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)