From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:20:45 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<I too think that far too much stress is placed on winter  feeding, when
the population dynamics of the bees and their racial  characteristics
should be more explored to find or develop strains that do  not require
excessive winter stores.>>

I couldn't agree more. the first bees I had  wintered in clusters the size of
a football, and needed feeding like mad just to  scrape through. The ones I
have now have clusters the size of a grapefruit, have  just as many bees by
about the middle of May, and overwinter on about two frames  of honey. I wouldn't
normally feed at all, though I confess to doing a  little this year after a
disastrous season. But what a difference!

    Regards,

    Robert Brenchley