From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 19:17:20 -0700

> > The most interesting question
> we are facing now is that in some hives varroa is under control after
> treating hives with legal Apivar (Amitraz) strips but you see bees with
> deformed wings! Is this a residual of virus symptoms after varroa gone?
> How long does it take these symptoms to disappear if the vector (Varroa)
> is not present or at a very low level?

Medhat, you may wish to refer to Highfield (2009) Deformed wing virus
implicated in over-wintering honeybee colony losses.  DWV not only does not
go away, it appears to evolve to forms that no longer require varroa as a
vector.

Bob and I have both commented on this observation before in US hives--that
bees with deformed wings (and also sick pupae) are now seen even at very low
mite levels.  However, as Bob says, the best prevention is to keep mite
levels low at all times.

Amitraz has had a surprisingly long effective run in both Europe and the US,
but US beekeepers have been reporting resistance for at least a couple of
years.  I'm not sure how much longer it will be effective.

However, for those of us who haven't relied upon synthetic miticides for
some years, resistance is a moot point.

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
www.ScientificBeekeeping.com