From:
Mark Spagnolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 18:05:13 -0500
I have been reading the comments about pollen with great interest.  For several years I collected pollen from 50 hives on the Kona side of Hawaii.  Depending on the rainfall, this area produced huge amounts of pollen.  When the Ekoa was blooming I could collect 2 lbs a week, per hive of beautiful white pollen.  In my opinion pollen is neither the taste sensation some people are discribing nor the "bitter" chalk that was also mentioned.  Although I liked eating it, I was more fond of selling it!

We never dried any of our pollen.  We ran it through a seed cleaner and then picked it clean with tweezers.  It went directly into the freezer.  We vaccuum sealed it and sold it to the local Hawaiian health food stores for $12.95 a pound!  It was a money-maker.

Walter might want to contact Randall and see if he is using the traps I sold him when I left Hawaii.

Recently I bought 45 traps for $6.00 each here in Minnesota with the intention of re-entering the pollen business.  I will be pulling honey and putting traps on this week and next.  Hopefully I can recapture that market here, but it seems unlikely that the harvest and the sales will be the same in sparsely populated N. Minnesota, but we will see.

Mark