Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 18:05:13 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
I have been reading the comments about pollen with great interest.  For several years I collected pollen from 50 hives on the Kona side of Hawaii.  Depending on the rainfall, this area produced huge amounts of pollen.  When the Ekoa was blooming I could collect 2 lbs a week, per hive of beautiful white pollen.  In my opinion pollen is neither the taste sensation some people are discribing nor the "bitter" chalk that was also mentioned.  Although I liked eating it, I was more fond of selling it!

We never dried any of our pollen.  We ran it through a seed cleaner and then picked it clean with tweezers.  It went directly into the freezer.  We vaccuum sealed it and sold it to the local Hawaiian health food stores for $12.95 a pound!  It was a money-maker.

Walter might want to contact Randall and see if he is using the traps I sold him when I left Hawaii.

Recently I bought 45 traps for $6.00 each here in Minnesota with the intention of re-entering the pollen business.  I will be pulling honey and putting traps on this week and next.  Hopefully I can recapture that market here, but it seems unlikely that the harvest and the sales will be the same in sparsely populated N. Minnesota, but we will see.

Mark 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2