Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:02:58 GMT
>>Wasn't there someone who bred them to the point  where he could handle them in a T-shirt, at least sometimes?

Yes, Barry Sergeant.  I was also very impressed by his report and photos.  Here is how he does it (be sure to copy and paste the entire link):

 http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:Pw_hL3XkazQJ:www.beesource.com/pov/ahb/sergeant.htm+beekeeper+Barry+Sergeant+South+Africa&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Waldemar