From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 09:58:49 -0700
Bill Russell wrote:

> it
> doesn't take much more effort to bring along aload of supers.
> I could see some hobbyist and research interest bit not much action from the
> commercial side.
> Bill Russell
> Eustis, Fl.

I have never been a commercial beekeeper, and have great respect for those with
enough courage to choose this as their occupation. That said, beekeepers in this
area - there are still a few, in spite of the drought - have to cover a large
area and many beeyards. One we cooperate with frequently (headquartered in
Sierra Vista, SE of Tucson) has probably 30-50 yards, over an 80 by 60 mile
area, many in remote areas with difficult roads. He can't afford instrumentation
of these yards, but I'm sure you can see the advantage to him if he could dial
up a remote sensor which would talk back to him before he hits the road in the
morning. The cell phone coverage here is almost complete, so this approach is
feasible. Of course, other areas may not need to invest in a system like this,
especially where the access is quicker and easier.

John F. Edwards
Carl Hayden Bee Research Center
Tucson, Arizona 85719
http://198.22.133.109/