Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:41:37 -0500
This is in regards a posting about orange blossom honey.   I don't
believe Europe or North America grows coffee or cocoa however these
product labels will say product of USA or wherever it has been
processed.    COOL, or Country Of Origin Labelling is a nightmare for
food processors, something they are not in favor of.  I can see how
labelling processed meats such as hot dogs could be problematic.

Primary food producers are forever at the mercy of the market forces.
We  have no market power.   We rely on crop disasters elsewhere to
realize reasonable and fair prices for what we produce.  The exception
to this that I'm aware of is the supply managed dairy and poultry
sectors of Canada.  These areas are the only stable agricultural
industries not to mention they receive no government subsidies.
Interestingly, they are the targets of criticism by a consortium of
large lobby groups consisting of companies such as Pizza Hut and KFC (
only an example of many more) who want to get their hands on cheap bulk
food to inflate their bottom lines even fatter.

 From what I have learned about the National Honey Board, their efforts
have largely increased the use of honey in food processing NOT at the
retail level.   The NHB is funded by domestic beekeepers yet the honey
used in food processing tends to be foreign in origin.  The focus needs
to be redirected to forcing domestic consumption of Canadian and
American honey on the shelf  with the implementation of high tarriffs on
foreign honey for this market   The industrial product would be exempt
from large tariffs.  A floor price could be established by the current
marketing boards, all domesic honey would be marketed via the marketing
boards, levies could then be deducted to fund honey promotion and public
education about the importance of domestic apiculture.  This is
precisely how eggs are marketed in Canada, and these producers are all
doing very well.    This will ensure the continuation of  domestic
beekeeping and not the continued decline that has occurred and is likely
to continue until we producers co-operate and take control of our
collective welfare.

Gilles