Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:15:19 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Note: so far Acarapis woodi has not been found in Iraq and
> AFB and EFB are present, but apparently not at epidemic levels;
> small hive beetle has yet to make an appearance).
> 3.    In rural villages with established populations of bees in
> traditional hives made of narrow woven baskets covered with wood ash
> as a wattle, would you recommend immediate transfer to Langstroth
> moveable-frame hives and elimination of the traditional hives as is
> currently proposed?  If not, what would you recommend with reference
> to developing sustainable and appropriate beekeeping in this setting?

Wholesale transfer to moveable frame hives without appropriate guidance is
probably the fastest way of getting AFB and EFB up to epidemic proportions and
thus eliminating the incipient beekeeping industry or forcing it into being
dependant on chemicals.  Beekeepers are always reluctant to renew brood comb and
it is so easy not to with moveable frames in stacks of boxes, thus allowing
disease organisms to build up.

Depending on what is traditional in that area and the forage available and
the habits of the native strain, a life cycle of 2 - 3 years for each colony
with renewals from swarms could be indefinitely sustainable and rely only on
local inputs.  Output would not be maximised but could be high value, including as
medicine.  There would also be a regular harvest of wax which has a multitude
of uses and can be turned into value - added products, often on a small scale
as cottage industries. Similarly propolis.

This approach keeps the income close to the original producer and may be a
way of bringing income and therefore power to the distaff side.  The beekeepers
would probably do well to supply high quality products in limited quantities
for the local market at a good price rather than to over-produce and have to
dump surplus through packers onto the over-supplied world market.

I can't remember the name of the economist who made a study of the subject as
if people mattered (cobblers is in my mind) but he coined the phrase 'small
is beautiful' and I think it is appropriate in this instance.

Chris