From:
Mark Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:48:21 -0400
I inspected one of my hives a couple of days ago and found no brood
whatsoever though there is still a relatively large population of workers.
In my last inspection, before a vacation a number of weeks ago, everything
looked fine, so I'm assuming that I've lost my queen and the hive is dying.
My other hive is strong. What I'm wondering is if it is too late to try to
save the hive (too late for the hive, but also too late in the year) by
getting a new queen and bringing in brood from the other hive. My concern
is that I'll end up with two week hives going into winter rather than one
strong hive.

Is it still early enough in the year to try to save this hive? Should I
just leave it be? Try to combine the hives to at least get some benefit
from the surviving workers?

Thanks,
Mark Payton