From:
Mark Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 09:47:11 +0200
Hi All

I am a South African Bee Farmer, who can only farm with, as it is called in
the America's, "The African Killer Bee". In South Africa we have a few
incidence with our bees, caused by someone doing something stupid. I have
seen a lot of articals latley on protective clothing. Just out of interest
sake visit some of the TOP BAR HIVE sites on the internet, and see what
protective clothing is worn by African people while working these bees.

I agree with some of my fellow members on this site that gloves should not
be worn, as this forces you to be gentle and think what you are doing. Make
no mistake there are times when I have to ware my gloves, for example when
we
harvest honey, but as a genral rule I do not need my gloves while working
with my bees. Be gentle, use your smoker corectly (not a lot of smoke, but
smoke applyed in the correct place). I find bee farming very relaxing
(although a lot of work) and very stimulating, as a bonus I even make good
money out of it.

Before I farmed full time with bees, I worked in the fire servise for 17
years, this has enabled me to develop a system / technique to handle and
control a swarm of AHB that has gone out of control. This system has been
tried out by myself and my staff on a few occasions with great success. I
have run a few sessions with local Fire Dept's using live bees. So far it
takes
about 7 minites to rescue a patient and about 30 to subdue the bees and
bring them back under control.
But with the main thing with any type of bee is to educate as many people
about them so accidents don't happen.

The AHB problem will never be removed from the USA, so as the world opens up
so problems are spread from one country to another. As in nature you have
to adapt to changing conditions or move on. I am not saying that the change
is good or bad, but rather learn to live with it, what other occupation/
hobby can offer so much pleasure and hold so many rewards.

Best Regards
Mark Hale
from not so dark Africa
Hosts of Apimodia 2001