From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:58:28 -0600
> You say there have been "massive problems"
> with CB, so how did the colonies ever produce brood and honey?

Well, the most memorable bunch -- several hundred package colonies -- were
assessed at up to 30% chalkbrood by a respected Alberta research worker.
The hives were rejected for pollination by the inspector, but did build up
enough to winter.

> Now we are told that the hygienic traits are not recessive so we will
> most likely get enthused again.  Also, we have had eminent people
> such as Sue Cobey here in Australia in recent times lecturing on II
> and hygienic selection so it stands a chance of being expanded.

Many people think that hygienic qualities are an absolute goal and are
either there or they are not.  It is not that simple.  The search for and
reinforcement of hygienic qualities is more of a journey than a destination,
and even some progress towards the goal can have huge payoffs, especially if
the most susceptible individuals can be culled from the pool, consistently
over time.  Many beekeepers have noticed a big drop in CB after only a
generation or two of selection against CB mummies on the floors.

> I read that AFB is not a problem for Canadian beekeepers so why would
> you want us to challenge the bees for AFB?

Did I suggest that?  Don't think so.

> Also, for some unknown reason, hygienic bees will get EFB.  It does
> not seem to follow that if they are hygienic that they will be
> hygienic to EFB.

Hygienic behavior is only one of many traits that contribute to disease
resistance, and the hygienic test is just a surrogate test for AFB
resistance.

allen
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/