From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 19:28:35 -0700
Hi All,

I'm totally naive about politics and the processes involved in making law.
I've taken the time to speak to Congressman Hasting's staff, and others who
were at the June hearings.
Jim, I know that you dismiss my contacts as "second hand" information, but I
consider that speaking to the congressman's staff is getting close to the
source.
What I've heard doesn't appear to me to support your premises.
Please correct me if you feel that I am in error, as I'd like to get to the
truth.

In October 2005 the National Academy of Sciences released "The Status of
Pollinators in North America,"  which called the public's attention to the
plight of both the honeybee and native pollinators.

In November, David Hackenberg reports colony losses to  Penn State Univ, and
Colony Collapse Disorder is born.

On March 27, 2007, Congressman Hastings introduces HR 1709, which requests
funding in the 2008-2012 budgets for a "SUSTAINED APICULTURAL RESEARCH AND
COLONY COLLAPSE DISORDER WORKING GROUP."

In April, you attended the USDA-ARS CCD meeting to "develop points to be
used in a command-performance briefing for Senate staffers."

On May 24, Senator Baucus introduced S 1496 -- the" Pollinator Habitat
Protection Act of 2007."

On June 26, Danny Weaver, and several others, spoke before the Committee on
Natural Resources about the plight of the honeybee and other pollinators.
Prior to this, the Xerxes Society and Coevolution, both "native pollinator"
groups, were instrumental in getting doors opened in Washington for
beekeepers to speak.

On June 26 Mrs Boxer introduced S 1694--"the Pollinator Protection Act of
2007," to coincide with National Pollinator Week--pushed largely by the
native pollinator people, and from which we beekeepers benefitted.  In this
bill, native pollinators are only mentioned a few times, and always in
association with honeybees.  Jim, please take time to read the actual bill
before criticizing our allies!  Virtually all the funding goes to honeybees.
There is absolutely no indication to me that the bill was laden by the
native pollinator people.

On June 28, Congressman Blumenauer introduced yet another habitat protection
bill (no number yet).

It appears to me that things are moving rapidly in Washington!

A staffer explained to me that there are only "so many trains that leave the
station" in Washington.  There is little chance of starting a new train,
what with the limits of funding resources.  It is much easier to jump on a
car of an already existing train.  It helps to be friendly with the engineer
and porter.

Congressman Hasting's bill was immediately, as is standard, referred to
committee, in this case the Agriculture Committee.  The Ag Committee has
only one train leaving the station at this time--the 2008 Farm Bill.  Any
stand-alone bill to fund bee research has little chance of passing, and
would be for a limited term.  But added into the Farm Bill, it would be a
drop in the bucket, and could easily pass, and for the long term--maybe even
until the next time that CCD rears its ugly head!  Since there are no other
trains leaving the Agricultural Committee until the Farm Bill leaves,  CCD
funding was forced to languish for the time being, but hardly due to any
fault of the native pollinator people!

In this case, Jim, it's hard to see how to justify your statement that "In
the case at hand, we were slowed down [by the native pollinator people] for
2 crucial months when evidence was still fresh."  Indeed, Congressman
Hasting's bill wasn't even for funding until 2008!  There have never been
any immediate monies for research proposed, that could have been delayed.

I'm sorry for my poor choice of wording about congress people not having a
clue about beekeeper's needs.  What has been clearly relayed to me is that
the staffers are begging for information from beekeepers, since the congress
people and their staff know virtually nothing about honeybees or beekeeping,
other than sensational press reports that we are in trouble.  They really
want to help us, and the native pollinator people are doing a better job
than the beekeepers.  We are definitely benefitting more from their help,
than they are from ours!

Jim, if I've been inaccurate in any of the above statements, please let me
know.  Otherwise, may I reiterate that the "native pollinator people" are
our allies in a battle for recognition and funding, and that we should be
appreciative of our allies, not insulting.

Respectfully,
Randy Oliver