Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:23:13 GMT
>>I bought from Hawiaii.  Carniolans to be exact.

Carniolans tend to be gentle but Carniolan hybrids may not be.

>>They start to defend the hive 10 meters away.

Assuming the extra defensiveness is not in the genes, this is often
an indication of an earlier disturbance.  At this time, yellow
jackets will often harrass hives and take bees, causing the hives to
be on guard.

If you don't have a decent flow on, lots of foragers will be idle at
the hive ready for a fight.

Someone could have sprayed some chemicals in the area aggravating the
bees...

>>When I walked back in the field this afternoon to check them I was
met with a few bees over 30 meters from the hive.

You did not have a banana or two just before going out there? ;-)  I
went to check a hive after snacking on a banana and could not figure
out why several bees kept flying at my mouth and nose...  Afterwards,
I realized it must have been my banana breath.  Bees associate banana
odor with their alarm odor!

Before requeening, I'd flip flop this hive with your weakest one in
the early evening.  You'll rid of most of the older foragers and make
more manageable.

My 2 cents,

Waldemar